Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Toy Story

       On the way out of class on Monday, I was talking to Autumn and we got on the movie topic.  Somehow,  the Toy Story trilogy came up.  Kind of strange, I know, but it is a little mythological and personally.  I think it may have been that we had been talking about graduation in class, actually.
      I grew up with Toy Story,  literally. When Andy, from the movie was around the age of seven, I was that age, too.  As he went to camp and got older, I got older.  In the finally movie,  Andy is leaving for college.  I remember that Dad really wanted to see this movie, and so for Father's day, we went to see Toy Story 3.  I had just graduated college and was preparing to leave for College.  My senior had been rough, and I was, and wasn't, ready to step out on my own.  To say the least, I bawled.  Yes, the movie was about Toys, but here was an end to the life of Andy and Woody together.  Woody was moving forward, just like Andy, to a new unknown.  It scared me, and the feeling of leaving the things, or friends, or family, you love is the most bittersweet emotion I have ever had.  It is that apocalypse.  It was the lifting of a veil and turning of a page for me.  My parents told me all summer that I was starting a new chapter in my life.
     Toy Story summed it up perfectly.  From the mythological number of three, the creation of the friendship between Woody and Buzz, the Initiation that Woody goes through (struggles with loosing his arm and the pain he deals with because of it) to the apocalyptic end of becoming a toy belonging to different child.  For me, the story had a moral of how hard change is for people.  We are more comfortable in what we know and so stepping of the edge into the unknown isn't something we deal well with.  This may not be true for everyone, but it is most definitely true for me. 
     I don't think I will ever see things the same because of this class.  This movie is just another example of seeing mythology in the every aspect of my life, including movies from my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment