Monday, April 22, 2013

Our Own Tree

  After class on Friday, I remembered something that I thought was interesting about trees.  During Autumn's presentation, she talked about her friend calling her a tree.  I smiled and thought about it literally for a second before an image from my anatomy lab popped into my head.  Technically, we all have a "tree" inside of us.  In the back part of the head lies a portion of the brain called the cerebellum, which is responsible for coordination and movement.  If you cut this portion of the brain in half, you can see the different types of matter (white and gray) making the picture of a sideways tree called the Arbor Vitae, or tree of life.  Once again, I am surprised by trees all around us and, in this case, inside us, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment