Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Be Careful What You Wish For!

I had to laugh in class the other day when Professor Sexton was talking in class the other day about being careful what you wish for.  I had an experience when I was eight that mirrors this point of view perfectly.  My Aunt and Uncle had come over for dinner on a Sunday night in the late spring (I still remember the fact that it was a Sunday) and my cousin, brother and I were outside playing.  My cousin had on a blue cast that ran from his wrist to the middle of his shoulder.  I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen and was slightly jealous of all the signatures he had on it.  I couldn't help but think how much I wanted a cast just like it.  Sure enough, the next day while playing on the swing set my Dad had built for my siblings and I, I fell off the trapeze bar, backwards, and dislocated and fractured my left elbow and arm.  Ironically, it was the left arm, which was the same side that my cousin broke.  So to say the least, the entire ride to the hospital, riding on a gravel road, I was telling myself that I would never again wish for something that I really had no business wishing for in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment